The fifth stance of the eight is the Praying Mantis:
- Weight distribution is 70% back leg and 30% front leg
- Sit on back leg with foot at 45 degree angle. Front leg is bent with knee turned inward to protect groin. Front leg weight rests on ball of foot.
- Shoulders are at 45 degree angle to target. Arms are bent at elbow and at “fighting ready”. Elbows are directly above knees.
- Mantis hands can be thumb touching pointer finger, thumb touching pointer and middle fingers, or thumb touching all fingers. Wrist is relaxed and bent.
- Back is straight and slightly rounded.
- Eyes look over knuckles of front hand